Thursday, October 21, 2010

Mounting linen on Gatorboard

I have been trying this new technique using linen. Instead of stretching it with a wood frame, I have been mounting it onto Gatorboard. This board looks like foam board but it is very hard and archival. William Whitaker introduced me to it. I have been using it for a while as a board behind my drawings because it is hard enough to draw on, but it has a little bit of give, so you don't have to have a big stack of papers behind the one you are drawing on to soften your surface a little bit. It is also great for behind Frosted Mylar, which is a wonderful painting surface, and also archival. 




Here is a pic of the Gatorboard with the linen mounted on it. I cut the linen to about the right size for the board, then I covered the board with gesso and mounted the linen using a credit card, starting from the middle and pushing out to the edges. It stretches the linen also, then I put a thin layer of gesso on top to seal it, then trimmed up the edges. I have really enjoyed painting on it, it has the great linen texture, but the board is very lightweight and thin. Save space and if you are shipping your work, this would save a lot on shipping costs!

No comments:

Post a Comment